Monday, March 1, 2010

Let me clarify...

I just wanted to restate something in my bio on my blog: My comments are completely biased but honest in terms of my own personal journey. I am not setting out to find things that are intentionally wrong (subjective) neither is my goal to be critical. I do believe however, that discernement is often discounted as criticism. I think motivation is a big factor in something being discerning or critical in nature. The Bible is my final authority and I try to measure my opinions and convictions against that above anything else. I also know that it makes some people uncomfortable that I review a church after only one visit. However, the old adage, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" is a key one for churches. Again, the question I ask myself is what is real, authentic, seeking God's involvement kind of worship that is happening in our valley?

With all that said I will continue to write what I feel God would have me write whether in the end it was for my personal journey or because it needed to be said period. As for what I am seeking, I don't know if that is it. It is really more about the journey and I find that each week spiritual fellowship with my Lord is more clear. Not because of the church I attended but because preconceptions and convention is being cleared away in my own life. When I step into a church I am not looking for an experience I am looking for the presence of God in that holy place.

This brings up the anonymity of last week's church. I did not name the church on purpose because I do not wish to hurt anyone who might go there and because it is more about the A-typical mega church trappings than it is about this particular church. All churches have achilles heels, mini or mega, I merely was pointing out a tendency that, if not carefully kept in check, can easily override the purpose of the church. And though it was an anonymous mega church this week I by no means think mega=unspiritual.

Final thought: As you read these statistics, released last month*, think about the importance of being "Christ Centered" in every way we do church. The time is short, we have much work left to do. Weed out what is not up to the standard of God. And pray a lot!

  • In America, 3500 – 4000 churches close their doors each year
  • Half of all churches last year did not add one new member through conversion growth
  • Churches lose an estimated 2,765,000 people each year to nominalism and secularism
  • 1,400 pastors in America leave the ministry monthly.
  • Only 15% of churches in the United States are growing and just 2.2% of those are growing by conversion growth.
  • 10,000 churches in America disappeared in a five-year period.
 
*Book: American Church in Crisis by David Olson
*http://religions.pewforum.org/ (religious survey website)

1 comment: